Deep fryer caught on fire.
For most, the kitchen is the heart of the home, especially during the holidays. From testing family recipes to decorating cakes and cookies, everyone enjoys being part of the preparations.
So keeping fire safety top of mind in the kitchen during this joyous but hectic time is important, especially when there’s a lot of activity and people at home. As you start preparing your holiday schedule and organizing that large family feast, remember, by following a few simple safety tips you can enjoy time with your loved ones and keep yourself and your family safer from fire.
Thanksgiving by the numbers
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, and the day before Thanksgiving.
- In 2016, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 1,570 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving, the peak day for such fires.
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.
- Cooking equipment was involved in almost half of all reported home fires and home fire injuries, and it is the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Conditions in the Chicago Area Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest know how to handle the removal of mold.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Oak
Park-River Forest to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 708-483-8636
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Oak Park-
River Forest for mold remediation services.
Hurricane destruction...SERVPRO is here to help...
The Carolina's were hit with a massive hurricane in September, 2018. This picture shows the mess that was left in its wake.
SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest travelled to North Carolina to help the local franchises with all the destruction left in the hurricanes path. SERVPRO franchises stick together and help each other out in times of crisis.
Clean houses rent faster...
This room was left in poor condition by renter's after their lease was up.
The picture below is of a bedroom in a house that had renters. The renter's left the house in very bad shape. The owner's called SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest to do a deep cleaning.
After SERVPRO was done with their job, the house sparkeled and was rented quickly.
Do not let renter's destroy your property so it is impossible to find new tenants. Call SERVPRO and they can clean the house from top to bottom and you will have new tenants in no time.
When Storms or Floods hit the Oak Park-River Forest area, SERVPRO is ready!
Storm hitting the Chicagoland area and surrounding suburbs.
SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit the Oak Park-River Forest area, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 708-483-8636
Oak Park - River Forest Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your ome.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 708-483-8636
Chicago's Premiere Commercial Restoration Company
Are you a business owner in Chicago or surrounding areas? Have you experienced a water or fire damage to your offices or warehouse? SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest has the training to handle all of your remedication needs ranging from a single office to an entire warehouse. We understand the complexities that come with commercial damages and have experience in quickly remediating your water or fire damage. The amount of down time can be reduced by quickly calling us at 708-483-8636 the moment you notice the damage. A quick response allows us to get on-site quickly and then begin the remediation process which may help to eliminate secondary damage. This helps your bottom line by allowing you to get back to your operations. If you need us, we are available day or night to help keep your business running after a fire or water damage event.
Here To Help
SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest is here to help 24 hours a day. 708-483-8636
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration.
What to Expect
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
*Your name and contact information
*Your insurance information (if applicable)
*The street address of the water-damage home or business
*When did the flooding or water damage occur?
*What caused the water damage (if known)?
*Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest
SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at the SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property
Chicago Summer's Can Produce Heavy Rains
A flooded street after a micro burst of rain.
As the heat of the summer continues in the Chicago area, be ready for bursts of rain that can cause flooding. If flooding does occur, the water is considered contaminated then you will need an expert like SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest to come out and remediate the situation. Here are some tips if flooding or other contaminated water finds its way into your home or office:
*Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash you hands thoroughly after any contact.
*Do not walk through the contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
*Do not use household fans to dry the structure as air flow could spread contaminants.
*Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene that came in contact with contaminants.
When you have a water damage due to flooding, call SERVPRO of Oak Park-River Forest immedicately, 708-483-8636.